idiosyncrasy Today

Scathing social commentary meets the gamer generation.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Fallout 3 Article

Thanks to the guys over at Destructiod internet denizens can get a glimpse into the upcoming new Fallout title.

There has been a large amount of assorted hate/ spam/ admiration/ disgust over Bethesda taking the reigns of the loved cult franchise after the ill-fated Black Isle nose-dived into the depths of ruins thanks to numerous bad choices by company executives. I too was a nay-sayer being that I hated (see: despised with the flaming heat of a thousand suns) Oblivion *shields head from rocks and garbage*.

Am I wrong to think that a game should not scale with the player? I beat Oblivion as a level 2, what is wrong with this picture? I like the idea of having to progress to win. I decided to try the game again... and using their ass-backwards system of only "level'ing" you if you tier up in primary stats I maxed out all of my erroneous skills like sneak and archery (who knew that would work out so well?) and then proceeded to one-shot my way through to the end game again... but I digress simply because I'm a fan of quality game design.

Fallout 3, the much awaited follow up to 2 classic PC titles will be coming out, with Oblivion style graphics but thankfully not Oblivion style gameplay (see: Praise Jesus). The game will use the PIP still as well as action points, though it will take place in either first person mode or an over the shoulder view. Bethesda has also claimed that the Over the Shoulder view was designed for (unlike in Oblivion) so the game won't feel clunky when controlling it that way. This is the way it should be, if I'm clad in full leather armor I want to see my avatar dressed to the nines like Mad Max. It's an RPG, let me see how badass I look carrying a sledge hammer reminiscent of Gallagher, if Gallagher was a post-apocalyptic mutant instead of a balding over the hill comedian.

So there is some hope that can be kindled for us Vault-tec fans, the franchise may not yet be ruined, I'll keep the hope alive.

Full Destructoid Article Here

\\drew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home