idiosyncrasy Today

Scathing social commentary meets the gamer generation.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Blizzard sues Glider creator

In a recent chain of events Blizzard Entertainment is suing Michael Donnelly, creator of the popular Glider software, for copyright infringement saying that,
"Blizzard's designs expectations are frustrated, and resources are allocated unevenly, when bots are introduced into the WoW universe, because bots spend far more time in-game than an ordinary player would and consume resources the entire time."
They also went further stating that the software copies the client into RAM to evade anti-cheat software.

Donnelly rebuts these accusations saying that no copying of the client occurs.

My two cents on the topic? I've never been a bot-enthusiast in MMO's. I'm paying a monthly fee to play a game, in turn I should play the game, not simply allow my computer to play it while I wander around elsewhere. If I wanted that I would play Progress Quest, which I highly recommend as a side note, my level 94 Gyrognome Sprocket Knight is fairly strong when casting "Nestor's Bright Idea MMMMMDCXX".

That being said I don't dismiss the tool for others. It's not my thing, but it certainly does not break economies and the experience for players worse than the Mythical Chinese Gold Farmer. If Blizzard wants to create a better gaming environment stop these companies from flooding the markets, don't worry about a 31 year old who's too lazy to play the game he's paying for.

Full Article Here

\\drew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home