idiosyncrasy Today

Scathing social commentary meets the gamer generation.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

High-Definition will revolutionize games like 3d graphics

According to Tetsuya Mizuguchi (creatore of the Lumines series amongst others) the work this generation with High Definition visuals will be as dramatic to the consumer as when they bought their first 3d game.

"I can't predict the future, but the one thing I can say is the resolution games use will deliver a very high emotional impact."

He continues on for a while during his interview at the Developer Conference in Brighton dropping buzz words like "media aesthetics" when referencing his goals as a developer.

He also discussed where he saw the industry going, namely to the household without retailers. He even branched further to touch upon this idea with music, saying that it's quite possible that the youngin's first experience with music may be downloaded. Heck, I know my children's music will be.

All in all I think Tetsuya brought up some neat ideas, but I tend to not agree. I think the coming of 3d heralded a new generation of gaming because it allowed for different gameplay, traversal in 3d space as opposed to isometric or straight 2d cameras.

High Definition is pretty, sure, I've played DoA High Def on my sexy 32 inch television, and yes, it was pretty, but did the game feel new and exciting because of it? Not really.

But who knows, maybe I'm wrong and maybe all that matters is new flashy graphics with crisper lines and louder colors, but maybe, just maybe, in order to revolutionize games this time around we need something a little different than bells and whistles.

\\drew

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

4:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home