idiosyncrasy Today

Scathing social commentary meets the gamer generation.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Sony tries to convince us they are not kicking us in the balls

SCEA President Kaz Hirai recently stated that the PS3 will have a shelf life of 10 years, and Sony won't be dropping a new system for atleast 5 years, thus trying to stretch out the lifespan.

"We're not going to ask the consumers to suddenly buy another PlayStation console in five years' time and basically have their investment go by the wayside," said Hirai.

This makes sense, sure, I like it, if I drop the mother load on a system I don't want to be throwing it away in a year. *pats his PS1 which he played yesterday*

But then he came out with this statement.

"I don't think price is the only determining factor when consumers make a choice in looking at their console purchase decisions," he concluded.

I somehow highly doubt that Hirai here has ever worked in retail, but I can honestly say he has no idea what he's talking about. Here in the US lots of people play video games, LOTS, we have hardcore gamers and 1337 14 year olds. But having worked in video game retail for numerous years back in the day I can say that money is the driving factor for the majority of gamers. Every year around christmas we would get flocks of people buying the new PS2's and XBOX's, but you know what sold out faster with more in stock? The PS1 and the N64. Not everyone can afford the big systems. I know plenty of people who just play a generation behind saving 70% of the money silly bastards like me willingly throw away to "be on the cutting edge". Why waste all this money on a new system when you can buy an older one and 15 games for the same price? Sorry Hirai, I'm calling Shenanigans, spend a month being poor, you'll see how things really are and how ludicrous your price is.

Furthermore I think it's nice that Sony is looking at the future (see: something that seems rather bleak) considering the current state they are in. In a recent Wired article, Sony's current state of affairs is left open for all to see and the picture painted is nothing if not grim.

Full Wired Article Here

Now I really hope things work out for them, I'm a Sony fanboy, they have made some of my favorite systems, but this current outlook they have doesn't bode well for my ill-fated media company.

*closes eyes, clicks heels together, awaits magic* Because at this point I feel that's what it will take.

\\drew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home